Orpington Roo x Wyandotte

ValleyEcho

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
Hi,
I believe a Buff Orpington Rooster bred to a Silver Laced Wyandotte Hen will produce sex linked chicks, with the males carrying the laced gene. I’m curious if I’m correct in my assumption and also how to tell the sexes apart at hatching. Thank you!

Screenshot_20230406-173211_Firefox.jpg
I don't believe that mix will be sex linked.

You were partially correct. Sex links? Black Tail Buff Hens that hatch redish orange and Black Tail Silver males that hatch Yellow. No lacing on those due to Dominance of Wheaten and powerful restrictors at play.
I just want to clarify. I hope that I’m understanding correctly. So the males will be yellow and the females will be reddish orange? So there is the possibility that they can be feathered sexed at birth? Also, the Wheaton gene in the Buff will cancel any lacing?
Thank you!

I just want to clarify. I hope that I’m understanding correctly. So the males will be yellow and the females will be reddish orange? So there is the possibility that they can be feathered sexed at birth?

Yes, that is what the colors should be.
Yes, they should be sexable at hatch by color.

"Feather sexing" is something else (based on length of feathers, not color of feathers.)

Also, the Wheaton gene in the Buff will cancel any lacing?
Yes, Wheaten and some other genes from the buffs will cancel any lacing.

Yes, that is what the colors should be.
Yes, they should be sexable at hatch by color.

"Feather sexing" is something else (based on length of feathers, not color of feathers.)

Yes, Wheaten and some other genes from the buffs will cancel any lacing.
Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! So there is color sexing, feather sexing, and vent sexing?
I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me understand.

So there is color sexing, feather sexing, and vent sexing?

Yes, those are the three main options.

Color sexing can happen at least three ways:
--hybrids or mixes that use the gold/silver gene (sexlinks)
--hybrids or mixes that use the barring gene (sexlinks)
--pure breeds that use the barring gene a little differently ("autosexing")

Feather sexing only works in certain hybrids or mixes, because of how the genetics work.

Vent sexing takes a lot more experience for the person to do, but can work with any kind of chick.

Edit to add: DNA sex testing also exists (a lab tests a sample of blood or feather from the chick, or the lab can test the eggshell after the chick hatches out of it.) This is slower than any of the other sexing methods we just discussed, but faster than waiting for the chicks to grow up.

Back
Top Bottom