Newby & I need some assistance determining breed...

hershey

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
My daughter was elected to receive one of the 3 chicks incubated at school this year. Must say I have never owned a chicken before. Need some assistance determining breed & sex. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

7-07082.jpg

7-07078.jpg

7-07003.jpg

Jen

With that comb, I think you have a male for sure. Since it's legs are dark, maybe greenish, hard to tell, it can have some EE mixed in with maybe a wyandotte genes that give it a wide body.

I say you have a nice barnyard mix roo. Now you should probably get some girls for it since chickens live in flocks. They probably should have let all the chicks go home together. The other single birds should get some friends to keep them happy.

Thanks for the information. Hershey s/d suffice for a rooster. I appreciate the advice w/ regards to obtaining more. This raises another question, would I need to find birds of similar age or would acquiring a few additional chicks & introducing them at what age would be recommended? I was under the impression it was a rooster given the awful noise it is currently making in what I believe is an attempt to crow!
smile.png

They are so funny when they're learning to crow aren't they?
lol.png

If you plan on adding to your flock (always a good idea
wink.png
) you need to get chicks of the same age/size or the big one will likely kill the little ones. If you get little ones you can introduce them when they reach the same size about 5 months old usually.

You can check out Buy/Sell/Trade here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=19

or
here: http://p072.ezboard.com/Buy--Sell--Trade--Giveaways/fbackyardchickensfrm12
to
try to find some of the right age.

Or you could see if you can get the other 2 that hatched with that one. Maybe the other parents will be glad to get rid of them.
tongue.png

As for breed I'd say he could have some Cornish in him along with the Wyandotte. Cute little guy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom