Mom hen getting aggressive with 11 wk old pullets, need advice

mudhen

confidently clueless
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Shepherdstown, WV
Millie has been an exemplary mom to these chicks since she took them on at 2 wks old.
This morning I found her grumpy and talking in a growly sort of way with the six 11wkolds on the other side of the run.
Her dialoge with me was also grumbly, and usually she bok-bawk-boks to me when I call her name. Not today.
Fed them their bit of morning scratch, and Millie would not let anyone near to eat! I set another little bit of scratch on the other end of the run for the girls, but Millie kept going back and forth trying to keep them from eating while she tried to gobble everything up for herself.
I figured she just got up on the wrong side of the roost today, but when I went out this afternoon, she was still in the same mode. It's not just about the food, its about everything...she just doesn't want any of them near her. She doesn't hurt them that I can see, just clucks loudly and flaps her wings at them and chases each one off.
What's up with this?
Is she fed up with playing mom? What should I do?

Sounds like she has decided to wean them. She is done and is telling them that they are on their own.

chel

Thank you. I didn't know that hens did that. Once they 'get it' will she leave them be?
They are all roosting together tonight, hope that is a good sign.

Yes, they will be fine. They will still roost together, she is just not going to call them to come share food. She will probably also stop defending them as well.

chel

As far as she's concerned, they're 18 and need to move out of the house!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom