Life in the Coop

Sutton5

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Hi! Our chicks are approx. 9-10 weeks old. They are living life in the coop and enjoying their day in the run. The question I have is at night they all gather in one corner by the door, all huddled on top of one another. The temp outside is 81 and the temp in the coop is alittle warmer. Is this normal:/? Or is there something I need to change?

Rachelle ~Kansas

Do they have a roost ? Is the roost too high ? At 9-10 weeks they should be roosting at night. Try putting a short roost (could make one like a saw horse) where they normally sleep to encourage them to sit on it.

Thank You for responding! Yes, they do have a short roost. It is an old staircase handle. We also have a higher one too. DH wondered if they lay near the door for the fresh air? I will try to move the portable roost bar next to the door tomorrow. DH is also adding vents and an extra window in the coop tomorrow! Again thank you for responding!

Rachelle ~Kansas

At that age they don't know they're supposed to roost if they were raised without a hen for a mama. I usually have to put them on the roost every night for a few days, or a week if they're not too bright. lol. Once they've woken up in the morning on the roost a few times they get the idea.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom