introducing bigger hens

vathan

Hatching
12 Years
May 1, 2007
hi,

i currently have 2 bantam hens which have been used to the run of the coop for over a year now, (since the other 2 "hens" started crowing and had to be returned)

suddenly i have acquired 8 new hens, rescued from a battery farm. they are all fully grown.

i need some help in how to introduce the new hens to my bantams. they are considerably larger, and im worried about bullying.
i already have the inside coop split in 2 so the hens can see eachother, and need to know where to go next!

should i introduce the new hens a couple at a time?
should they all get along ok?
will the bigger hens bully the bantams?

HELP!!!!

thanks for any help x

well you've started in the right direction...which is separation with a view!

It's good they get to know eachother without having "access" to eachother.

Do this for a week or two and then one night, move them all to one roost --key thing is AT NIGHT!

The should be fine then, waking up with eachother.

If you're particularly worried, you could be up at the crack of dawn and be there when they wake up, but I don't think that would be necessary.

Sandra

I don't think you need worry. The battery chickens will be too busy getting used to their new environment to bother the banties, and won't have formed themselves into a 'group' at this stage, so the difference in numbers shouldn't matter.

As you've got battery chickens are you from the UK? Thanks for taking them on!

As with introducing any new birds to a flock, be sure they are mite and bug free first. As far as putting them together, they will be fine, just keep dong what you are doing.

hi, thanks for the advice evryone.

yes i am from the uk, living in the south east. the hens were rescued from a battery farm in kent.

one final thing . .

one the banties is broody (grrr) this means she doesnt go outside at all, except for to get food and water. should i try to break the 'broody cycle' before introducing the new chickens?

x

Back
Top Bottom