Impacted Salivary Gland

mmwellsfarm

Chirping
Aug 8, 2022
Is this possibly an impacted salivary gland? I've tried multiple antibiotics since October and nothing works. It almost cleared up but then it flared back up recently and is getting worse. Not sure if she's allergic to something or what's going on. There's nothing hard in there. If I push on it, clear fluid comes out her nostril and eye, she also gags and gasps for air. What else can I do for her? First picture is from a couple days ago and the second is from the next day.

Attachments

• CM_Photogrid_1715712239980.jpg
    CM_Photogrid_1715712239980.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 35
  • CM_Photogrid_1715712404017.jpg
    CM_Photogrid_1715712404017.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 5
In chickens that looks more like a respiratory sinus infection, possibly MG or coryza. Do you notice a bad odor from the face? Can you open the eye and see any pus or white material inside the eyelid? I would try to express any pus from around the eye, and then flush the eye with saline or eye wash, followed by applying a small dab of either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin twice a day. Antibiotics such as Tylosin can treat MG symptoms. Coryza is best treated with sulfa antibiotics. Either of those is a chronic disease which can make carriers of the whole flock.

In chickens that looks more like a respiratory sinus infection, possibly MG or coryza. Do you notice a bad odor from the face? Can you open the eye and see any pus or white material inside the eyelid? I would try to express any pus from around the eye, and then flush the eye with saline or eye wash, followed by applying a small dab of either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin twice a day. Antibiotics such as Tylosin can treat MG symptoms. Coryza is best treated with sulfa antibiotics. Either of those is a chronic disease which can make carriers of the whole flock.
I've done all that and nothing worked. No pus either. She's had it since October and has been with the flock since then. She's the only one with it.

It's also squishy and not hard. I've dealt with eye stuff before but this is completely different. I cannot get this to clear up.

I don't have chickens, I have quail, and my quail (probably) all have MG. Everything you've mentioned so far sounds like MG to me - the squishy swollen sinuses that release fluid when squeezed, the clearing up with antibiotics, the healthy rest of the flock, the inevitable return... we've had a couple of quail hens that had very symptomatic MG which needed to be culled, but several have had very mild symptoms which resolved on their own and most of the covey has been perfectly fine - which is to say, they're infected but are resistant to the disease. I've found the birds that are severely symptomatic simply don't get better without treatment...but unfortunately they're carriers of the disease forever and may show symptoms again later.

I believe you can get testing done to see what disease it actually is, so take my 2 cents with a grain of salt and consider calling a vet to see if they can provide any clearer answers.

I don't have chickens, I have quail, and my quail (probably) all have MG. Everything you've mentioned so far sounds like MG to me - the squishy swollen sinuses that release fluid when squeezed, the clearing up with antibiotics, the healthy rest of the flock, the inevitable return... we've had a couple of quail hens that had very symptomatic MG which needed to be culled, but several have had very mild symptoms which resolved on their own and most of the covey has been perfectly fine - which is to say, they're infected but are resistant to the disease. I've found the birds that are severely symptomatic simply don't get better without treatment...but unfortunately they're carriers of the disease forever and may show symptoms again later.

I believe you can get testing done to see what disease it actually is, so take my 2 cents with a grain of salt and consider calling a vet to see if they can provide any clearer answers.
It never cleared up with antibiotics though. It never even got better. It got better on it's own when it stopped everything for a couple a months and let her free range alone but then when our pollen count went up it seems like that's when her eye got worse again, could be coincidence though.

Most respiratory diseases are chronic. They stay inside the body, symptoms may improve, but they may come back. With an eye like that, it would be rare to just clear up on its own. The pus has to come out, and antibiotics specific for the infection should be given. The eyes can become blinded when left like this. I would get testing.

Most respiratory diseases are chronic. They stay inside the body, symptoms may improve, but they may come back. With an eye like that, it would be rare to just clear up on its own. The pus has to come out, and antibiotics specific for the infection should be given. The eyes can become blinded when left like this. I would get testing.
Unfortunately, that kind of testing isn't available for us at the moment. We did try everything that would be recommended I would assume for respiratory disease. Tylan, erythromycin, Enrofloxacin, and used terramycin. I'm at a loss of what else could be used for this to clear it up. None of that has even touched it. It actually cleared up more on its own without meds than with when I stopped everything for a couple months. That's why I'm stumped because I would have thought that something this severe would respond to one of the antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom