Chickens in the new coop (Already!) (lotsa pics)

clay

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
I've been building a coop for our babies (now a couple of weeks old) and found someone nearby on craigslist giving away some chickens. Long story short, I got the coop finished and now have two roos, two hens, and two ducks (who think they're chickens). Now, can someone give me some advice on integrating the little ones in with this flock ?(when they are big enough, of course, and when will that be?)

IMG_0484.JPG

Lower left door opens independantly of top. Blocks are for little kids to stand on.

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

Two-second exposure to try and capture the eerie red glow.

IMG_0489.JPG

The hens took right to the roost.

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

Roos and ducks seem to like hanging out on the floor together.

-Clay

Too many roos . . . I think so. The hens are missing most of their back feathers. And the roos do mate with the poor ducks, but at least they don't fight. Actually, the roos and ducks sleep huddled together. Plus, of our eight babies, six are "straight run", so there are probably more roos in there. Do you think someone might take a couple of the roos off our hands at a bird swap?

-Clay

I have 2 roos and 2 hens and haven't had any problems with them fighting, they were raised together though. My hens are not missing any feathers either. I also have 3 guinea cocks and 4 guinea hens. The alpha guinea cock creates more of a problem with dominance issues than anyone else. I also have 15 2-week old pullets and 4 straight run chicks, so there will plenty to go around when all the new ones mature.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom