Chickens and the Total Solar Eclipse

texsuze

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Texas Hill Country
We're in the path of totality for the "The Big Dark", one week away and counting! Of course, weather is currently predicting cloudy skies and possible thunderstorms :rolleyes:. I plan to be at the barn watching my chooks to make sure everyone is ok and to see if they'll decide to go into their coop when the sun disappears for the < 2 minutes of this amazing feat of nature.

That's awesome. I bet those in the path like you will have some very confused chickens.

We aren't and unbelievable that people are driving hundreds of miles to see it. I suppose if I were young with nothing else going on, maybe!

We're in the path of totality for the "The Big Dark", one week away and counting! Of course, weather is currently predicting cloudy skies and possible thunderstorms :rolleyes:. I plan to be at the barn watching my chooks to make sure everyone is ok and to see if they'll decide to go into their coop when the sun disappears for the < 2 minutes of this amazing feat of nature.
We're directly in the path of the darkness too and I wondered how they'd cope with it lol unfortunately I'll most likely be at work. They are warning over 30k extra travelers for our city, nuts! Lol

I'm also in the POT and can't wait to see if our chickens go to roost. Totality here is expected to last a little over 4 minutes. We had to travel a bit to experience totality in '17 so did not get to see if our chooks reacted to the dusky conditions here at the house. What fun tomorrow will be!

We survived but everyone was so confused and quiet lol even the frogs started chirping

Attachments

• PXL_20240408_190959793.jpg
    PXL_20240408_190959793.jpg
    983.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240408_190635613.TS_exported_71944.jpg
    PXL_20240408_190635613.TS_exported_71944.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 13
Rojo, our rooster, gathered up his girls and herded them up close to the coop but they did not go in. They just kind of hunkered down close to the run and seemed ... puzzled and a bit stressed. Confused, I guess. I imagined them thinking, How can it be bedtime, we have not had our bedtime snack yet? It was eerily quiet as the day birds stopped singing and calling, then the evening birds started their songs. My son from NM thought it was really cool and impressive. I'm so glad he enjoyed it. We all did!

Back
Top Bottom