Chick poop!

cecilia501

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
Benton City, WA
Hi-

I've got a question about my chicks poop! I have my first ever baby chicks, one Rhode Island Red and one Plymouth Rock, both 3 weeks old now. I got them when they were a day old. I am keeping them inside, in a plastic storage container with pine shavings (changed daily), a heat lamp, water that is changed two times a day and am feeding them Purina Start and Grow Medicated. They are growing fast, seem very happy and healthy...but I'm worried about some of the poops they have. The majority of their poop is well formed, greyish-green with the white urea (and when you go to clean it up, it doesn't leave any residue behind, AND they don't stink). Sometimes though, they will have a poop that is brownish with traces of the white urea in it, a pudding consistency (making it messy to clean up), and they are STINKY! I think that they have these poops more often when I let them out for a few minutes to run around on the floor. I don't know if this is normal and I can't find books or anything that tells me if chick poop can vary like that. They seem so healthy that it doesn't seem like it should be a problem, but I really want them to do well so I would appreciate any response on this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is a normal chick thing. Thanks for taking the time to read this!!
smile.png

Thank you!! I was just reading some other posts and saw that others had asked the same question before. Oops! Thank you for taking the time to respond though...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom