Can you keep a rabbit indoors?

depends. Think of it like chickens. A silkie is going to be a more reasonable indoor pet than a jersey giant roo. Either way, it still isn’t super ideal. With rabbits it is a bit more realistic to keep them inside than a chick but they need a much bigger space than stores sell. Like at least 8 foot by 4 foot floor space for one or two. But then again breed plays a role in that as well. They would require at least 2 hours of outdoor play time in the summer. I would personally say to look into Dutch rabbits as I have heard that they do well indoors.

You can absolutely keep rabbits indoors. They can learn to use a litter box and won't need bedding like a chicken does. I hear pine pellets are great as litter box litter for keeping the smell down. However, a cage, like the ones they usually sell at pet stores, is not ideal. Something like a dog exercise pen with towels or blankets on the floor is much more comfortable for them. And once they've been litter box trained you should let them out to roam the house or a room in the house for exercise and enrichment.

a lot of people keep their rabbits indoors.
As stated above, the cages are usually crap, and keeping it in a small cage all the time is not fair to the little beast.

But you do have to rabbit proof where you let them run. They chew stuff. Notably cables and electric cords.

Doesn't it turn to powder? Do the chicks eat it?
The chicks eat no more of those than they do pine shavings. I provide grit if I can’t get them outside.

For the first few days I just use paper towels, then switch them over to pellets. They are a tad larger than chicken pellets so the little ones can’t eat them anyway unless it’s a chip.

When wet, they turn to sawdust as they are 100% compressed pine. It only gets noticably wet under the vertical waterer. If I don’t catch it before they do, the little buggers are taking dust baths in the sawdust lol.

We use them in the coop too for the last 8 years and only change them in the spring. There the chickens scratch them around but in the brooder I’ll stir them around every couple of days

Back
Top Bottom