Blue Orpingtons & Others, Now 9 Wks Old (PICS)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
My Blue Orpington cockerel who will be my breeder for that part of my flock is named Suede. Here he is with my Meg, a Lucille Ball-type redhead whose daddy was a dark mahogany red Rhode Isl Red and her mom was a Buff Orpington. I love the blue and flaming red together!
DCP_6397.jpg

Blue Orpington Pullet, Velvet:
DCP_6407.jpg

Buff Brahma, Caroline, and Lt. Brahma, Bart, formerly known as BESS-one of Ideal's sexing mistakes-anyone want a Lt. Brahma cockerel? He's a sweetie!
DCP_6391.jpg

Meg, actually named "Nutmeg" for her color:
DCP_6404.jpg

Pullet chick named Tux, a Cochin/Silkie crossed with Barred Rock mom:
DCP_6341.jpg

Last edited:
Tux looks so serious! and that hair do!! Woo!
clap.gif

About your grit feeders? I think that's what they are, the red ones on the wall? If so, very clever, do they work well there?

Yep, that's grit in them. When I moved into this house, the family of the deceased owner left lots of stuff. One thing was this huge wall organizer thing with screws, nuts, bolts, etc. in it. It has a slide bar that fastens on the wall, then all these separate red compartments just snap onto it, as many or as few as you want. Works great for grit, oyster shell, etc.

Tux has two siblings that look exactly like her except in minor details. That hairdo comes from her daddy, who was a very, very old Cochin/Silkie cross owned by my friend who gave me the hatching eggs from her Barred Rock hens. He was believed to be infertile and didn't father any chicks until her last batch she incubated before he died and then she gave me a bunch of eggs after warning me that they may not be pure Barred Rocks. He died just after that. All hers have feathered feet and no poufy head; all my pullets have poufy hairdos and clean legs and feet!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom