Black Comb

justonemoreduck

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2022
Our rooster had mild frostbite back in January. However we have had weather in the 40's at night and 70's during day the past three weeks. His comb has patches of black now. Any thoughts based off the pictures. His hen's eggs are not fertile either. He's been in a hoop house with 5 hens for two months. None of his ladies look this way. He seems healthy otherwise. Any advice is helpful. Thank you.
1000014068.jpg
1000014066.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240425_002528077.jpg
    PXL_20240425_002528077.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 5
His comb looks like it has been pecked and injured. On his right side, was there any injury or frostbite lower where the white outlined place is now? Is he the only rooster? It can be common for roosters to be less fertile in winter, but usually by now they are having hormones flowing by early spring. Is he acting weak or lethargic, or having any trouble getting around? Has he been eating and drinking? Check to see if he has any lice or mites on his body under his vent and elsewhere. If he has not been wormed recently, that would be good to do. I might offer some vitamins or something like Poultry NutriDrench for a few days.

His comb looks like it has been pecked and injured. On his right side, was there any injury or frostbite lower where the white outlined place is now? Is he the only rooster? It can be common for roosters to be less fertile in winter, but usually by now they are having hormones flowing by early spring. Is he acting weak or lethargic, or having any trouble getting around? Has he been eating and drinking? Check to see if he has any lice or mites on his body under his vent and elsewhere. If he has not been wormed recently, that would be good to do. I might offer some vitamins or something like Poultry NutriDrench for a few days.
Thank you for replying. No injury that I saw. No other roosters have been on the breeding coop. It could be the hens aren't letting him mate. Maybe they are pecking at him? All but one hen has obvious feathers missing on their back from breeding. He is happy and shows no lethargy or loss of interest in eating and food. I'll spray His comb and try giving some extra nutrients. I'll repost a fresh picture in a week.

Back
Top Bottom