Anyone with E. coli infection knowledge

I would not intentionally pull any scales off. When you wash the legs, if debris comes off that's fine, but you may cause some damage if you try taking them off. Let them fall off naturally.

Just apply your oil/vaseline regularly, it will smother the mites. The dirt will wear off, it's fine. I wouldn't worry about her eating the oil/vaseline, usually they won't and if she did take a taste, there's not enough to hurt her.
Thanks! Do you think this could be the main reason she seems to be very inactive and uncomfortable? I can only imagine it’s painful after realizing she’s had these feet for a while now.

Thanks! Do you think this could be the main reason she seems to be very inactive and uncomfortable? I can only imagine it’s painful after realizing she’s had these feet for a while now.
Could be part of it, but she's a heavy bird with some age on her too, so they tend to slow down just a little bit.

Could be part of it, but she's a heavy bird with some age on her too, so they tend to slow down just a little bit.
Haha, got it. Luckily she’s a very calm girl and just stands patiently as I treat her. My other hens thrash wildly when I put Vaseline on their legs. She even sometimes starts to fall asleep or preen me. I’m glad she feel relaxed.
I am going to the vet tomorrow just so I can get a confirmation that she is not internally laying, and maybe they can give me a spray for the mites.

Haha, got it. Luckily she’s a very calm girl and just stands patiently as I treat her. My other hens thrash wildly when I put Vaseline on their legs. She even sometimes starts to fall asleep or preen me. I’m glad she feel relaxed.
I am going to the vet tomorrow just so I can get a confirmation that she is not internally laying, and maybe they can give me a spray for the mites.
Let me know how the vet visit goes.

You can pick up Permethrin poultry dust or spray at stores like TSC.

The spray and dust will not kill the SLM on the legs/feet since the mites live under the scales, this is why you use an oil/vaseline to smother them on the legs.
BUT, the spray/dust is very useful to treat the coop/housing, nesting boxes, etc. and can be applied to the birds to treat any lice/mites that live or feed on the body (skin).

Let me know how the vet visit goes.

You can pick up Permethrin poultry dust or spray at stores like TSC.

The spray and dust will not kill the SLM on the legs/feet since the mites live under the scales, this is why you use an oil/vaseline to smother them on the legs.
BUT, the spray/dust is very useful to treat the coop/housing, nesting boxes, etc. and can be applied to the birds to treat any lice/mites that live or feed on the body (skin).
She has ovarian cancer. I made a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom