Anybody in Chula Vista own chickens?

Heather20

Hatching
May 4, 2019
Hello. Does anybody own chickens or quail in Eastlake or Chula Vista?

The laws for keeping animals here are pretty strict :( My lot is over 7,000 square feet, but there is nowhere in my yard that is more 50 feet away from my neighbors. Quail are not specifically mentioned, but I am guessing they would be considered domestic fowl.

6.04.080 Rabbits, domestic fowl and pigeons – Quantity permitted.
Six rabbits, six chickens, two turkeys, two ducks, two geese, 10 pigeons (all breeds) or any combination not to exceed a maximum of 25 animals may be kept by one family on a tract of land, providing it has a minimum of 7,000 square feet therein and contains not more than one single-family dwelling unit thereon; provided, however, that the total number of all fowls and rabbits shall not exceed 25. (Ord. 3226 § 1, 2012; Ord. 774 § 1, 1961; prior code § 4.6(A)).

6.04.090 Rabbits and domestic fowl – Housing restrictions.
Rabbits and fowl shall be kept or maintained within a building or fenced enclosure in the rear yard, as defined by the zoning ordinance of the City, and shall be not less than 50 feet from any residence, not including the owner’s, and not less than five feet from any property line adjacent to the owner’s property. The provisions of this section shall not apply to parakeets, canaries and similar birds. (Ord. 3226 § 1, 2012; Ord. 1639 § 1, 1975; Ord. 774 § 1, 1961; prior code § 4.6(B)).

And FWIW, I know many people who "fudge" the rules. The only time you will encounter problems is if your neighbors complain about noise/smell. Even if you can't get your coop exactly 50 feet from anyone, if you get it as far as possible from anyone's house, you will be ok. And if you have a good relationship with your neighbors, it would be worth talking to them first. My neighbors were thrilled I was getting chickens. I don't have a rooster, but they asked if I'd get one because they *like* the crowing! LOL!

Thank you for all of your responses. I live in a suburban neighborhood, so unfortunately my neighbors houses are all very close to the fence. I'm thinking of maybe getting a couple small Serama chickens or possibly quail. I would just hate to have to get rid of them if I got in trouble.

Hi Heather! I live in Chula Vista and I've had quite a few chickens over the last few years. Mostly it just matters that you do not go over 6 in quantity and keep it clean so your neighbors arent annoyed. Get rid of it if it's a rooster, nobody likes noises that early. So basically just mind your manners and be respectful. 3 is probably enough. They make a mess but they are a lot of fun. If you give eggs to your neighbors they might be more forgiving as well!

Hello. Does anybody own chickens or quail in Eastlake or Chula Vista?

The laws for keeping animals here are pretty strict :( My lot is over 7,000 square feet, but there is nowhere in my yard that is more 50 feet away from my neighbors. Quail are not specifically mentioned, but I am guessing they would be considered domestic fowl.

6.04.080 Rabbits, domestic fowl and pigeons – Quantity permitted.
Six rabbits, six chickens, two turkeys, two ducks, two geese, 10 pigeons (all breeds) or any combination not to exceed a maximum of 25 animals may be kept by one family on a tract of land, providing it has a minimum of 7,000 square feet therein and contains not more than one single-family dwelling unit thereon; provided, however, that the total number of all fowls and rabbits shall not exceed 25. (Ord. 3226 § 1, 2012; Ord. 774 § 1, 1961; prior code § 4.6(A)).

6.04.090 Rabbits and domestic fowl – Housing restrictions.
Rabbits and fowl shall be kept or maintained within a building or fenced enclosure in the rear yard, as defined by the zoning ordinance of the City, and shall be not less than 50 feet from any residence, not including the owner’s, and not less than five feet from any property line adjacent to the owner’s property. The provisions of this section shall not apply to parakeets, canaries and similar birds. (Ord. 3226 § 1, 2012; Ord. 1639 § 1, 1975; Ord. 774 § 1, 1961; prior code § 4.6(B)).
Thank you for asking this question! I also live in Eastlake and am considering backyard chickens.

And FWIW, I know many people who "fudge" the rules. The only time you will encounter problems is if your neighbors complain about noise/smell. Even if you can't get your coop exactly 50 feet from anyone, if you get it as far as possible from anyone's house, you will be ok. And if you have a good relationship with your neighbors, it would be worth talking to them first. My neighbors were thrilled I was getting chickens. I don't have a rooster, but they asked if I'd get one because they *like* the crowing! LOL!
Do you still have chickens or want a rooster? I may possibly have to re-home mine. :'(

Back
Top Bottom