3 newbie questions

kathleen

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Hello, Im new to this forum and a new chicken owner. My chicks are 3 weeks old and are standards.

1. The chicks are in my basement where life is peaceful and conditions are pleasant. I check in on them several times a day. Im curious about behavior....when I try to pick them up they run and screech for their lives. When I am able to catch them they are shivering with fear and still very vocal. Is this normal? Is there something I can be doing to help them feel more comfortable with being held?

2. Currently I have the chicks in a dog/rabbit crate. The size seems perfect for them now. What happens when they get larger and yet are not ready to go out to the coop? What are some of the accomodations that others have used for precoop chickens?

2. Sort of related to question 2. When can the chickens go outside? The book that I have been reading says 3-4 months. Its hard for me to imagine 3-4 month chickens in my basement. What is the criteria that you use to determine if chicken are ready for the coop?

Thanks! Kathleen

1. Normal, treats seem to get them to like you better. along with holding and petting.
2. Depending on the weather and climate where u live, they should not have to stay inside that long which also answers 3 in a way. I have been putting new chics right outside for 2 weeks now. I live in lower Alabama. Hope this helps.
wee.gif
and welcome aboard!

Last edited:
yup. ed nailed it right on the head. They will run and scream away from you for a little while. I mean, think of it....they are so tiny...and all they see is this LARGE CREATURE reachin in, trying to take them away from thier safe place. Now....hard boil an egg....take the shell off, and crush it really well. Then offer it to them in your hand. They will learn " the hand" means treats!

As far as putting them out....mine went out at 5 weeks old. However, they are in a pretty draft free area of the coop...and had a heat light still. Now, at 7 weeks...no heat light....and open to the outside during the day. Raiseing chickens can be such a learning experience....have fun..and enjoy them. Best therapy ever!

Back
Top Bottom