11 day old impacted crop? Video attached

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
Hello!

I took a chick in on April 18th that had been hatched on April 16th. It wasn’t doing well with the other chicks so they had it separated. I’ve had chickens for a few years, so offered to take it and try to save it. Our 5-year old has named it T-Rex. It took a few days but she (🤞🏼) was thriving! I’ve since added two more chicks with T-Rex. The BO (Blue, 5-year old again 😅) seen in the video was actually hatched right around the same day as T-Rex, who is a barnyard mix. The other little black one in the video (Adele) we just picked up today as a “day old” from our local fleet store, labeled as a Barred Rock. I didn’t notice T-Rex’s crop until after we got home, otherwise I wouldn’t have brought another one in. I thought we were in the clear :(

Fast forward to this afternoon (when I also noticed T-Rex’s crop) put flakes in their brooder for the first time. Up until today they had paper towels on the floor of the brooder. I’ve only offered them medicated feed. Today I did offer them some grit after noticing T-Rex’s crop. I don’t know what she would have gotten in there though? She also appears to be adjusting it around the 11-14 second mark in the video.

I’ve been offering water with Flock Pro Chick Boost (probiotics, vitamins and electrolytes) as well as plain water. I did add some ACV in their water this afternoon. I know some people think it helps and others don't. I’m willing to try if it’ll help in some way.

I’ve taken the food out of the brooder. I did get some cooking oil in her via syringe, but not much. Should I separate T-Rex? I feel she’s so young it might stress her out more now that she is used to the brooder mates. Everyone is content under the warmer now. I’ve also massaged the crop area a couple times and she seems to enjoy it. I know she’s not feeling like herself, she has been pretty feisty after the initial TLC, awfully snuggly as of this afternoon.

Give her one teaspoon of coconut oil. It may seem like a lot for one so small, but it needs to be a lot to lubricate the contents of the crop. Then you will massage until the crop contents break up and go down.

It helps to chill the coconut oil in a dish before giving to the chick as it will be easier to push into the beak as a solid.

Give her one teaspoon of coconut oil. It may seem like a lot for one so small, but it needs to be a lot to lubricate the contents of the crop. Then you will massage until the crop contents break up and go down.

It helps to chill the coconut oil in a dish before giving to the chick as it will be easier to push into the beak as a solid.
Thank you for this suggestion! I had read about coconut oil, but wasn’t sure if there was such a thing as doing too much in this situation. Didn’t want to overdo it until someone with more experience offered some advice. Will look for some coconut oil now.

Back
Top Bottom